Saturday, May 02, 2015

Stuffed Zucchini & Squash Boats

For Thursday's dinner, I had no set recipe - just an idea in my head and a vague plan to execute it! I got up early Thursday to head up to the "big city" to run errands! I had to begin my day with a Starbucks Iced Chai Latte...mmm! I hit up Hobby Lobby to get a glue gun and soap making materials...came out with a giant pack of scrapbook paper and some vinyl stickers! Highly successful in my book. I had some returns to do and some bulk shopping, so that was most of my day. I did get to enjoy lunch with my dear friend from high school, who I don't get to see TOO often! I had been anticipating eating lunch alone somewhere...probably Panera...but I thought maybe she would be available! I'm so glad I texted her! And our lunch was scrumptious. I've eaten at The Fig Tree before, but it has always been for breakfast (get the Eggs Benedict. It does not disappoint. Eggs, avocado, sun-dried tomato, Hollandaise sauce...need I say more?). They use fresh ingredients and try to keep it to local sources which is great! You know you're getting something fresh, not something that's been in the deep-freeze for a month. I had been smart earlier this week by planning these zucchini/squash boats and having everything ready to go because as soon as I walked through the door, I had to start cooking! This is super easy, quick and not a giant mess in the kitchen! Enjoy.

Stuffed Zucchini & Squash Boats
Makes 8 "boats"

Ok, so I only ate the summer squash boat tonight...
Ingredients
4 zucchini or summer squash
2 Tbsp. EVOO
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, diced
1 lb. ground turkey
1 Tbsp. Italian seasonings
1 Tbsp. McCormick's Perfect Pinch Vegetable seasoning
salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded

Directions
1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Take a spoon and scoop out the zucchini flesh, leaving about 1/4" edge. This is where it should start resembling a "boat". Reserve zucchini flesh.
3. Place garlic, onion and zucchini flesh into skillet and cook until fragrant and soft. Add in ground turkey and cook until browned. Add seasonings at this point and stir to combine. If there's too much water, just remove with a spoon!
4. Fill zucchini boats with turkey mixture and place into a 9x13 baking dish. Top with mozzarella. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment