Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Buffalo Chicken Soup

Even after all the food from Thanksgiving (which I will share all that fantastic food soon!), my husband and I needed dinner for tonight! We decided it needed to be something light(er), like a soup. So I got on Pinterest and looked through my Soups & Stews recipes. We decided to try one of the buffalo chicken soup recipes. I found one that looked easy (after cooking for Thanksgiving, I wasn't wanting a recipe that was too in-depth). My husband ended up cooking it and oh my, this is one of my new favorite soups...ever!

Buffalo Chicken Soup... YUM-O!
 Buffalo Chicken Soup
Serves 4
Calories per serving: about 480

Ingredients:
1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta
2 tsp. olive oil
1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into half moons
2 tsp. ranch dressing seasoning mix
3 Tbsp. cilantro, divided
32 oz. chicken broth
2/3 cup Franks Buffalo Wing Sauce
4 oz cheddar cheese, grated
4 oz parmesan cheese, grated
2 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
1/4 cup green onions, chopped and divided

Instructions:
1. Cook orzo according to package directions, until about halfway done. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Saute yellow onion, garlic and half of the green onions in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes until onions are opaque and fragrant.
3. Add carrots, ranch mix and 2 Tbsp. cilantro. Stir to combine and saute until the carrots begin to soften.
4. Add chicken broth, buffalo sauce, cheddar, parmesan and shredded chicken. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until the carrots are tender, but still have a slight bite.
5. Bring the soup to a boil, add the underdone orzo and stir frequently until orzo is al dente.
6. Serve with sliced green onions and additional cilantro. You can add blue cheese crumbles if you desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment