Thursday, December 29, 2011

Crab Rangoon and Fudge?

So today, I thought I wasn't going to have very much for myself to do! I was going to kick back, spend some hours on Pinterest and enjoy the nice smoky leftovers from last nights dinner (the hubs smoked some chicken using Jamaican Jerk seasonings and his new injector...yum!). Then I remembered I needed to make the homemade gift for the Christmas gift exchange with my husbands family tomorrow. I also needed to clean, cut and arrange some fresh veggies to take along with some Crab Rangoon dip. We also needed to make our little pigs in a blanket snacks for New Years Eve with my brother and his wife. So, obviously the veggies and pigs in blankets aren't that impressive...but I wanted to share with you the crab rangoon dip and fudge!

In my last post, I linked to the original source of the Crab Rangoon dip, from Reckless Abandon. This second time that I have made it, I made a few adjustments that better suit the taste for myself and family. Here is the official recipe that I use:

Ingredients:
16 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1 package of blue lump crab (though this time, I had to use imitation!)
4 green onions, chopped
1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 1/2 Tbsp powdered sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp onion powder

First step, soften your cream cheese in the microwave for 1 minute. Add in the sour cream, crab, onions, Worcestershire, lemon juice, powdered sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, garlic salt. Mix well, making sure your crab is flaked well. Once everything is mixed up well, put into an oven-safe dish and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes. It also works to microwave on high for about 3 minutes, stopping halfway to stir. Serve with fresh veggies or chips. My family loves Frito Scoops with this dip!

Crab Rangoon Dip
I'm still working on my food photography skills, so I know that isn't the BEST picture! But trust me, it tastes wonderful! The original recipe did not call for salt and called for more powdered sugar. It was just too sweet for my taste. So, I cut out some of the powdered sugar and added salt. Then I decided, garlic salt would be even better! Soooo good!

Now, the homemade fudge! I am not a baker...you will rarely see me talk about something I've baked. I just don't enjoy baking like I do cooking. Baking is ridiculous most of the time! Have you ever seen someone bake something without making a mess first? Not very often! And baking ingredients are much more difficult to clean up than cooking ingredients (most of the time!). Anyway... this homemade fudge was easy and didn't involve baking, just the stove top! It's Rachael Ray's Five-Minute Fudge Wreath recipe and its WONDERFUL! Basically, you melt whatever kind of chocolate you want on the stove with a can of sweetened condensed milk and a little vanilla extract. You place the can in the middle of a round cake pan and put the melted fudge into it, chill it so it hardens, then take the can out and you have a fudge wreath!

**So, Blogger is having some issues letting me upload more pictures, so those will have to be added at a later time!**

No comments:

Post a Comment