Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Homemade Baked Potato Chips

Cooking is one of my favorite things to do! I love taking all these different ingredients that have their own unique flavors and blending them together into one dish. With the holiday season, we make lots of goodies to take to all our various family gatherings. This Christmas, we made Buffalo Chicken Dip and the typical Little Smokies (which disappeared so fast!). We also tried a brand new recipe: Crab Rangoon Dip. Oh my yum...so good! And I made another batch today, made a few small adjustments and it tastes even better!

In other news, a few weeks ago I had some leftover yellow potatoes and wanted to try something new with them. I decided to make a batch of homemade baked potato chips. They turned out ok. I boiled them, let them cool, sliced them, then drizzled EVOO and sprinkled oregano on them. I baked them at 425 F for about 20 minutes, flipping them halfway through. They were eaten but I knew I could do better. So...

Today, my husband brought home 3 potatoes for me to try making potato chips again! So, I washed and scrubbed them (of which, make sure you ALWAYS do this because they are DIRTY!). Instead of boiling them, I left them raw and sliced them. Once they were sliced, I placed them in a ziploc bag, poured some EVOO in the bag, sprinkled some oregano (very specific measurements, I know...) and shook it up! Then I placed them on a cookie sheet that was covered in foil and sprayed with cooking spray. I baked them at 425 F again, but this time I checked them every 5 minutes. Some of them still got burnt, but most of them were yummy! Once I took them out for good, I put more oregano and some garlic salt on them. I laid them on paper towels on my cookie racks and let them cool.

Potato chips cooling on the cookie racks


Yummy oregano & garlic salt chips!
All in all, it was a successful experiment! One problem I have is that the chips don't all crisp up like a typical potato chip. I thought maybe by not boiling the potatoes first, it would result in crispier chips, but that wasn't always true. Any ideas floating out there in blog-ville would be appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment