Thursday, May 24, 2012

Cozy Vegetable Medley

Last night was an experiment. I felt like throwing something together on a whim. I didn't feel like going to store. So I took 2 cans of green beans, a package of Portobella mushrooms and a Vidalia onion and made one of my favorite new vegetables dishes!

My cozy vegetable medley: Green Beans, Onion and Mushrooms
First, I drained the two cans of green beans. Then, I diced the onion while the green beans dripped out every last bit of excess water possible. I throw those into a skillet with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. While those melded together, I opened the mushrooms, washing them well (there's mixed reviews about washing water-based foods. I wash vegetables.) and then throwing them into the skillet. I began to think about the flavor...it was going to be pretty bland if that's all I had. Luckily, with green beans, onions and mushrooms, they cook down and you have liquid in the bottom of the skillet. So I threw in two chicken bouillon cubes, some garlic powder (I am very liberal with this ingredient...) and some Cajun seasoning (not too much, probably 1.5 teaspoons?)

I served this as a side dish to our pulled pork baked potatoes. Really, we eat so well in this house. My husband is so good at smoking food and grilling. He is really good at cooking indoors as well but that has mainly come to be my domain as I don't find any self-confidence in the outdoor cooking realm!

This cooked on our stove for about 30 minutes. Basically, until the hubby got home from work. For not having a definite plan when I started this, it turned out SCRUMPTIOUS! At the end, my husband wanted bacon in there but all we had was bacon bits, so I threw some in. Of course it would be better with real bacon chopped up in there. Oh yum. Bacon!

No comments:

Post a Comment