Sunday, January 06, 2013

Southwestern-Stuffed Spaghetti Squash

Being on the South Beach diet hasn't been bad! I've gotten low back pain at night but I don't think it's from the diet. I've made a board on Pinterest for myself so I can easily find recipes that are phase 1 approved and that has been such a big help! Hence, my dinner tonight! Southwestern-Stuffed Spaghetti Squash... though I really want to call it "S To the Fourth Power". I feel like that wouldn't catch on as well though. It took me awhile to prep all the veggies that go into it, including roasting, cooling and then seeding the spaghetti squash. But it was well worth all the effort! Also, so far all the recipes I've made have had less than 300 calories per serving! But that's one thing I love about this diet... you don't count calories! You eat till you are full/satisfied.

Mmm, mmm...stuffed spaghetti squash!


Southwestern-Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
2 spaghetti squash
4 Tbsp. EVOO
1 red onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 jalapeno peppers, minced
2 red bell peppers, chopped
2 Tbsp. cumin
1 Tbsp. oregano
2 Tbsp. chili powder
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup cilantro, chopped
2 limes, juice
Garnish: cheddar cheese, additional cilantro

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Roast the squash on a baking sheet for 50 minutes. Let cool 30 minutes, then cut in half and spoon out the seeds. Use a fork to scrape the flesh into "spaghetti". Put "spaghetti" in a bowl and set off to the side.

2. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, jalapeno and red pepper. Saute for 2 minutes. Add cumin, oregano and chili powder. Saute for 2 more minutes. Add beans and cilantro, stir, then squeeze in lime juice.

3. Add in "spaghetti" and combine with the mixture. Switch oven to broil. Stuff the squash halves with mixture, top with cheese and broil for 4-5 minutes, until cheese is nice and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment