Sunday, January 22, 2012

Don't Judge a Soup by It's Cover!

By now, most people have at least heard of the wonderful website Pinterest. Ah yes, the website that I can spend hours on and not get bored! Recently, I've used it to find recipes that I want to try out with my husband! I've also been searching for soup recipes that I can make to take to work for lunch. Enter: Santa Fe Chicken Soup. Now, this was one of those pins where it didn't actually lead to a website, which usually irks me. This at least had the ingredient list and short instructions as a comment! It looked yummy so I decided I would try it! The good news is that this is seriously one of the easiest soups EVER! The bad news is... it's really not that attractive looking! In fact, it's down right unappealing in color. But just like Beauty learned to look beneath the surface and fell in love with the Beast, I tried one bite and LOVE this soup!

Santa Fe Chicken Soup
Santa Fe Chicken Soup
1 can black beans
1 can corn
1 can rotel
8 oz cream cheese
1 Tbsp (or 1 packet) dry ranch dressing mix
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp chili powder
2 frozen chicken breasts

Throw everything into a crock pot on low for 6-8 hours. Take chicken out and shred, then dump back into crock pot and enjoy!

Close Up - See what I mean? Ugly. But yummy.

Now, like usual, I didn't quite follow instructions! I had non-frozen chicken tenderloins, so it only took me about 4 hours before everything was bubbling and the chicken was thoroughly cooked. Also, it didn't say whether to drain the beans or not. I figured the rotel and corn juices went in because that would give the soup some of its liquid component. The problem with the beans is that it's what makes it so unappealing looking! So, if you want to drain the beans, I would say go for it! If you can get past the icky coloring, then leave it because it really does give more flavor to the liquid portion of the soup!

Tonight, we're having one of our favorites... Chicken and Biscuits! But no, it's not some fancy recipe... it's the Campbell's recipe! Not difficult at all, but it's one of our favorite winter-time meals. We'll see what good eats come from our kitchen this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment