Friday, January 13, 2012

Sufferin' Succotash!

Oh me, oh my! A five day work week...and I survived! I just unintentionally rhymed. This has been the slowest week ever but luckily today itself went by fairly quickly. Teaching about how to calculate speed and doing a lab where my students race cars down ramps, having a middle school dance, meetings and cancelled meetings, and curriculum planning made for a stressful week! Thankful for the weekend! Looking forward to tomorrow night, where I will spend some time with my best friend from high school.

My husband made a recipe for me this week! It's Silver Dollar City's succotash recipe! We went to Branson, MO last year around Thanksgiving/Christmas with his family and while we were at Silver Dollar City, we shared a bowl of their succotash. I remember taking a bite thinking "Do I have to share this with everyone else??" It is fantastic! Ever since our vacation there, I've been wanting to make it for dinner. We decided it sounded perfect for the chilly evenings that came this week! This recipe is SO YUMMY! Here is the link to the original recipe but as usual...we made our own adjustments!


Ingredients:
1 lb lightly breaded okra
8 oz frozen corn, cooked
8 oz summer squash
2 chicken breasts (pre-cooked), diced
1 whole green pepper, diced
1/2 white onion, diced
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
EVOO

First, saute onion and green peppers in EVOO over medium high heat. When tender, remove and place into large bowl. Saute chicken in oil until heated thoroughly (remember, this is with already cooked chicken). Remove and put into large bowl with onion and peppers. Saute corn and squash in oil. Remove and place in large bowl with onion, peppers and chicken. Finally, heat up okra until the breading is golden brown. Add garlic powder, salt and pepper. When okra is finished, add all other ingredients back in and reheat to desired eating temperature.

Our version of the Silver Dollar City succotash!

It makes about 5 large bowls... we had it for dinner two nights in a row and then I had it a third night while my husband had the Tyson Fun Nuggets (dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets. No, we don't have any children. Yes, we buy "dino nuggs" for ourselves. Don't judge.)

No comments:

Post a Comment