Monday, January 06, 2014

Buffalo Vegetarian Quinoa

Over my winter break, I had some downtime (that's what happens when you have a week and a half off, no kids and live an hour and a half away from family), so I cleaned out some of my Pinterest boards. I know...it's sad that I even have to do that. BUT...I found a lot of recipes that I had pinned and didn't want to get rid of but hadn't tried yet. So, I decided I would try one out! Being my typical I-don't-follow-a-recipe-exactly-as-is-ever self, I made some changes from the original! Here is my result....an under 300-calorie per serving Buffalo Vegetarian Quinoa!

It was SO yummy...can't wait to eat leftovers!
Ingredients
[Salad]
1 cup quinoa, dry
2 cups water
2-ish cups broccoli florets
2-ish cups coleslaw mix (the carrot/cabbage mixture)
4 green onions, sliced

[Dressing]
1/3 cup EVOO
1/2 cup Franks Wing Sauce
1 tsp garlic salt

Directions
1. In a medium pot, combine the quinoa and water. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn the heat to low. Cook until all the water is absorbed, which is about 20 minutes. Then, remove from heat and fluff with a fork to make sure no liquid is at the bottom.

2. While quinoa is cooking mix the dressing ingredients together until thoroughly blended. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp EVOO and saute the broccoli until softened and tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add in 1/4 of the dressing sauce.

3. Add the coleslaw, green onions and rest of the dressing and mix together. Once heated through (the cabbage will start to look opaque-ish), add in the cooked quinoa and toss well.

Enjoy!

*You can add blue cheese crumbles on top of your serving (or feta is a good replacement if you don't like moldy cheeses)

No comments:

Post a Comment